Board of Directors
The USLS Board of Directors is a student-run board composed of representatives of the University and legal communities, and includes students, faculty, University administrators, and practicing lawyers. Applying to be a part of the board is easy, and no legal background is required. It is a great way to get involved on campus, a good leadership experience, and an amazing resume builder. Visit this link to view current board membership.
Requirements of the Board
- Time Commitment: The board holds monthly meetings and the attendance is mandatory. Students must also attend an orientation session. Directors are also expected to dedicate time to Board and USLS projects.
- Duties: Members must actively contribute at all board meetings and should participate in and support USLS-sponsored programs including the Careers in Law Forum, the Renter's Forum, and general events held throughout the year.
- Committee Membership: Each board member also serves on a sub-committee. These sub-committees meet monthly and discuss a variety of topics.
- Management Committee: This committee oversees the policy and financial aspects of USLS. Policy aspects include the types of cases USLS handles, the fees USLS charges students, and more. Financial aspects include reviewing and approving the fees request that USLS submits to the Student Services Fees Committee each year.
- Education/Publicity Committee: This committee plans programing and outreach. This has included mock trials, panel discussions, lectures, banquets, forums, and more.
- Fees Committee: This is an ad-hoc committee created every two years to help with the fee application request sent to the Student Services Fees Committee (SSFC). Fees from the SSFC fund nearly all of USLS's operations and programming.
Apply for the Board
If you would like to apply to be on the USLS Board of Directors, please download the application and submit it in person to our office or electronically to email@example.com by the April 5, 2013 deadline. Resumes are also appreciated.